Managing Change: Assessing Complexity and Risk
Implementing major changes can be complex endeavors that require careful planning and management. Before embarking on a significant change initiative, it's important to assess the level of complexity and potential risk involved.
At Ignite Consulting, we've developed a simple "change complexity checklist" to help organizations gauge the scope of a proposed change. By considering factors like the degree of change for stakeholders, the number of people and locations impacted, timeline constraints, leadership support, and budget, you can categorize most changes as simple, medium, or complex.
For simple changes, documenting the what, why, who, and communication plan may suffice. Medium changes warrant dedicated change management support. But complex transformations require even more focused change leadership and subject matter expertise.
The more complex the change, the more vital it is to secure executive sponsorship, allocate an adequate budget, and assign skilled change leaders early on. At least 10% of the overall project budget should be devoted to change management for major initiatives.
Without accurately assessing and planning for complexity, organizations risk project delays, cost overruns, productivity declines, employee burnout, and even failure to achieve the desired business outcomes.
By taking a few minutes upfront to complete a change complexity assessment, you can determine the level of support and focus required to lead, manage, and reinforce the people side of change. This greatly increases the likelihood of realizing the full benefits that prompted your transformation in the first place.
Contact Ignite Consulting if you need support or training to successfully navigate change in your organization. Our change management experts are always ready to partner with you.
- Before starting a major change, assess the level of complexity and potential risks.
- Use a "change complexity checklist" to categorize changes as simple, medium, or complex.
- Consider factors like stakeholder impact, timeline, leadership support, and budget.
- Simple changes may just need communication plans; medium changes may need support.
- Complex changes require focused leadership, expertise, and adequate budget.
- Allocate at least 10% of your budget to change management for major initiatives.
- Failing to assess complexity risks delays, cost overruns, productivity loss, and burnout.
👉 MORE INSIGHT TO IGNITE YOUR CHANGE EFFORTS 👈
- Subscribe to the Weekly Ignite Change Management Newsletter
- Follow Ignite Consulting to see more tips in your feed
𝐈𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 helps leaders manage change using practical & proven change management tools.
✔️ on time & budget
✔️ engaging leaders & employees, improving adoption + sustaining change
✔️ with less stress, firefighting, & aggravation